On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:34:02PM +0000, Stuart Henderson spoke thusly:
> On 2009-03-08, Denny White <denny...@cableone.net> wrote:
> > Okay, jf, thanks. I checked it out. Good info. I guess my original
> > message was a bit misleading. I just stressed the graphics part since
> > I see advice given all the time to stay away from Nvidia, so I just
> > wanted to clear that up early on, to show what graphics hardware was
> > being used.
>
> NVIDIA graphics are a problem, as is the Intel part used with Atom Z5xx
> (GMA 500, a licensed PowerVR core rather than their usual in-house designs).
> And technical docs are not available for the USB2 video adapters.
> Other than that, most things you can buy work.
>
> > My main concern was if there were any other problems like
> > with suspend, sound, whatever. I should've been more clear. My bad.
> > Way, way too late in the wee a.m. hours when I wrote the message.
>
> Suspend for ACPI-only systems is difficult but is being worked on.
> Onboard sound works ok on most systems.

Thanks, Stuart, for the info. One probably REALLY big thing I forgot
to mention is, the Toshiba is 64-bit. Besides probably having to run
current, which isn't a problem, I'd probably be running amd64 with the
bsd.mp kernel. Again, no big deal. I was just concerned that I wouldn't
wind up with an expensive paperweight or worse, have to revert to the
M$ OS that it comes with. ;) Not that I'd do that. I'd try a Linux
distro before I'd do that. I already have one windows box for some
specialized work I do. That's enough. As for the Lenovo, I'm actually
not too concerned about that one working. I guess what I really wanted
was to be able to get the Toshiba with more hardware for the same price
as the Lenovo.

Denny White

() ASCII ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A