On Wednesday 06 May 2009 23:18:31 Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 11:14:21PM +0400, Vadim Zhukov wrote:

> > > This only affects restarts, not the initial startup.
> >
> > The idea is that you pre-create tun device (possibly in startup
> > script, or in /etc/rc.local) and then OpenVPN uses it.
>
> You're missing the point.  I create the necessary tun devices at boot
> with hostname.tun* so that we get no pf/altq load errors.  But as soon
> as OpenVPN runs from rc.local, it destroys the tun device and
> recreates it.  This breaks altq because the file descriptor
> (/dev/tun*) changes.
>
> Having OpenVPN create the tun device does me no good.  I'd still have
> to re-load pf/altq after the file descriptor is created.

Strange, I do not have such problem. But I'm not using altq there,
just some block/allow and NAT... Could you post your OpenVPN config?

Mine looks like this:

remote vpn.some.net 1194
proto tcp-client
resolv-retry infinite
persist-tun
dev tun2
dev-type tap
pull
ifconfig-noexec
up "/etc/openvpn/some.up"

(parameters related to authentication are excluded).

"Up" script just runs ifconfig for configuring (not [re-]creating) tun
device.

--
  Best wishes,
    Vadim Zhukov

A: Because it messes up the way people read text.
Q: Why is a top-posting such a bad thing?