On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 04:29:10PM -0300, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> Jason Dixon escreveu:
>> So apparently OpenVPN is a douche of an application by
>> destroying/recreating any tun devices you ask it to bind to.  This
>> causes havoc with pf/altq if you queue on those tun interfaces.
>>
>> I've asked on the openvpn-users mailing list if there's any way to have
>> OpenVPN avoid teardown of an existing tun(4) interface but nobody had
>> any useful answers (besides "use the up/down scripts")... yeah, thanks.
>> Has anyone here used OpenVPN in server mode and overcome this?
>>
> Well, you don't necessarily need to enable altq on the tun interface to
> get your packets queued. I did overcome this by making the queue on
> another interface, a physical one, and then making packets coming or
> leaving the tun interface to get queued on that interface. This works,
> and you won't have to deal with the tun interface being destroyed across
> openvpn starts/stops.

You don't understand the usage.  We have a remote office with a fixed
pipe and *all* of their traffic crossing the VPN tunnel to our office.
It's necessary to queue a fraction of the traffic crossing the physical
interface for this purpose.  We also perform queueing on the physical
interface that has a completely different usage model than the VPN
tunnel.

Please, let's not get off-topic.  It's a simple question... can you
start OpenVPN without having it destroy/recreate the tun interface.  If
you haven't used this, please refrain from commenting.

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting