On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 11:20:43AM -0400, Jason Dixon wrote:
> So apparently OpenVPN is a douche of an application by
> destroying/recreating any tun devices you ask it to bind to.  This
> causes havoc with pf/altq if you queue on those tun interfaces.
>
> I've asked on the openvpn-users mailing list if there's any way to have
> OpenVPN avoid teardown of an existing tun(4) interface but nobody had
> any useful answers (besides "use the up/down scripts")... yeah, thanks.
> Has anyone here used OpenVPN in server mode and overcome this?

Weird.  I ran an OpenVPN server on my OpenBSD gateway until just
recently, and I'm 98% sure that it never did this to me.  Are you
specifying both "dev-type" and "dev" in the VPN configuration?

Actually, that's one thought...  are you sure that the "dev-type"
setting in your OpenVPN configuration file and the configuration of your
tun(4) device are either both as tun or both as tap?  One of the things
that caught me off-guard about setting up OpenVPN on OpenBSD is that
OpenBSD's tap interfaces are actually called "tunX", they just have the
link0 flag set.  (So you could properly end up with, e.g., "dev-type
tap" and "dev tun0" in your OpenVPN configuration.)  Could be that if
OpenVPN expects one type of device but gets the other, it automatically
destroys and replaces it...

If that doesn't work, maybe you could try replacing the "dev" line in
your configuration with an equivalent "dev-node" line, just for the heck
of it.

Just a couple random shots in the dark, anyway.

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/