On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Nick Holland
<n...@holland-consulting.net>wrote:

> What makes OpenBSD unique?  Everyone's got their own list, but here's
> mine:
>
> * Good work is unacceptable, great work is expected.
> * Quality is the #1 goal, it takes a back seat to NOTHING else.
> * Freedom for the users to use OpenBSD without question and without
>  lawyers having to be involved, again without compromise.
> * Strong leadership.  Not a "core team", or an elected committee
>  that blows in the wind of public opinion, but one person who
>  sets direction and policy for the project.  You may not always
>  agree with Theo, but you never wonder where he stands on an
>  issue, or what direction the project will go.

 all good stuff, yeah.

* Commitment to doing it right in one way, not twenty different
>  ways ("pick one, maybe you get lucky").

just one question - how do we determine this "one right way"? (like there
could be a multitude of ways to do the same thing)

> * Refusal to accept the damned "all programs have bugs" chant as
>  an excuse for making crap
> * No fear of retaining things that work, and trashing things
>  that are broke or inferior to newer (or older!) alternatives.
> * The "Just Works" philosophy.
>
> But...a project like OpenBSD doesn't just run on volunteer effort,
> it takes real money.  Hardware, infrastructure, Internet services,
> and if you are going to have ONE PERSON in charge, you need to
> keep them focused on the project, not "in their spare time", and
> give them the money to live in reasonable comfort.
>
> I just had a talk with Theo, and he shared some numbers with me.
> There's a digit missing from the current CD pre-orders from where
> we were hoping to be now.  There's a trailing zero missing from
> what we'd really like to have.

I have a few questions about the stores in Australia (since we're on the
topic here). (http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html#au/lsl) LSL doesn't seem to
be doing pre-orders (see
http://www.lsl.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=openbsd&x=0&y=0);
does anybody know about the status of ESI? I cannot find any mention of
OpenBSD, let alone any pre-orders on their site (http://www.esi.com.au/).

If anybody living in Australia could help out to call the store/s (I dont
live there - it's just that this is the nearest store to me) and enquire,
that would be great.

thanks,
-jf