On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Joachim Schipper
<joac...@joachimschipper.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:49:00AM -0700, patrick keshishian wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Henry Sieff <henry.si...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The company i work for uses it. Its not that different from mature
>> > ipsec vpn's - ssl is simply how the encryption is handled. The client
>> > is configured by the central admin to enforce whatever policy is
>> > requested (ours checks to make sure you run an acceptable host based
>> > AV and firewall, blocks any post-connect changes to routing table,
>> > allows split tunnelling only to the local subnet, etc). There is no
>> > rolling your own client with ours, but it would be possible if the
>> > admin of the VPN was very lenient (you can lock it down to only allow
>> > certain versions of the client software etc or leave it wide open and
>> > if it were wide open you could probably write something to fool it.
>>
>> This is good info. So, if I understood what you are saying, assuming
>> the leniency you mentioned, the admin of the VPN, again assuming this
>> is someone in employment of my employer, would have enough knowledge
>> to share with me, about what the client they deploy "does" (the
>> required "handshaking", etc), to help implement my own client?
>>
>> My fear is the folks in charge of this new VPN solution my employer is
>> rolling out, may not know about the specifics needed. But, based on
>> your comments they may.
>
> That would be a rather optimistic assumption. They may be able to
> configure the VPN endpoint to accept connections even by older versions
> or somesuch, but that's a far stretch from writing your own
> implementation.

You are right. I'm making some basic assumptions here. Namely, I am
assuming Juniper's client isn't doing anything fancy with packets read
locally before sending it over the SSL connection to the other
end-point, and vice versa (aside from maybe cert handling).

> As with most proprietary stuff, making it work may require
> reverse-engineering everything. As with most proprietary stuff, this
> sucks.

I hear you.

--patrick