Diana Eichert wrote:
> Since I contributed to an Off Topic thread to become even more off topic
> I'll continue.
>
> I don't know about you but I work for my employer, they don't work for
> me.

They have an obligation to see that you have the tools to get your job
done in the best way possible.

> If senior management gets marketed to by a vendor that could care
> less about standards, let's see, Microsoft, Cisco, Juniper, IBM and on
> and on, then decides to purchase and implement one of these vendors
> solutions I'll implement it.

Not if you are doing your job competently.  If nothing else you're
supposed to ensure that your employer can meet its goals and, unless
they are simply existing to be a customer, then that means some
efficiency.

On the non-technical side, you're supposed to keep the boss looking good
and prevent flops.  Bad technology makes failure unavoidable.  Good
technology makes the next step of progress possible.

>   If I don't like it I can change jobs,

Or why not try seppuku?

> I don't take time to piss and moan about stupid management decisions.

Or take a proactive approach.

> My day time place of employment has Juniper SA boxes, personally I
> think they are bizarre to say the least.  I would never subject one of
> my personal systems to connecting to that network.
>
> You aren't going to convince corporate types how great OpenVPN is on
> OpenBSD.

That comes down to, among other things, a deficiency of whiskey,
hookers, and blow from OpenBSD -- at least down here in userspace --
often referred to as Most Valued Partner Seminars.

It is possible you have managers that know nothing or care nothing about
their jobs. It is also possible that a quick hands-on demo can be done.
 Most managers have the imagination of a dried gnat.  You have to show
them.  However, once you have something to show, then you can bring in
the efficiency ($$$) aspect.

> ... The sad thing is US management blames SOX for decisions to
> not use Open Source software, they need a liability trail, which
> buying from a commercial entity provides.

Yeah and the sun was in their eyes, or there  was a cross wind, etc.
Open standards are not just an integral part of the buzzword computer
security, e.g.
        http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/open-standards-security.pdf
it is a prerequisite to 'staying upstream' or just plain keeping options
open and making money.+

-Lars