On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Diana Eichert <deich...@wrench.com> wrote:
> Since we are already off topic I'd like to point out something.
>
> You should ask your corporate types if they support you as a user
> connecting to the SSL box from your OpenBSD system.

Definition of "support" used in above context is highly vague. To my
new IT department "support" potentially translates to "we will hand
hold you if things don't work" or "we'll send someone to your office
to make sure your mouse cable is properly connected to your PC" or
something along those lines. Essentially, they would say we do not
support any OSes other than Windows NT and 2000 and two flavors of
Linux distros. Meaning when you call the "help desk" and say to them I
can't print to the printer down the hall, they will bring up a script,
off of which they'll read you instructions, based on the "supported"
OS you are using, how to configure the printer click-by-click.

Therefore, I'm not certain asking them whether or not they "support
... a user connecting to the SSL box from ... [a] system" not on their
script-list is going to get a useful answer.

> Where I work, we have hardware / software requirements for remote
> access.  Trying to "workaround" the system is not only not supported
> but actually looked at as a violation of corporate policy.

Note, I'm not trying to "workaround" anything other than I refuse to
run a closed source application on my private system. Further, note,
my interest in accessing my employer's systems remotely is only to
benefit my employer -- I get no joy out of spending my personal time
working on things I work on when I'm on my employer's clock.

I hear you about "corporate policy". Depending on what business said
employer is involved in, that statement may or may not be reasonable.
Braindead policies, much like unconstitutional laws, must be
repealed/changed, ignored and/or rendered irrelevant.

--patrick