On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 03:15:30AM -0600, Ron McDowell wrote:
> My script builds the 4.6-release and 4.6-stable pulled 1/26.  It
> chokes on 2 copies of 4.6-stable pulled today.
>
> As I've said, I don't care about the error at this point, I want to
> know how the build process works.  Restating my question:

Most likely and frequent newbie error is forgetting to make obj before
make build.

> Does 'make build' install each subdirectory as it traverses the source tree?
> Or does it traverse the sources twice, first time to compile
> everything, second time to install what it compiled?

No, it's more complicated than that. It obviously installs mk stuff, then
include, then it builds libs and install them, then it builds everything
else and installs it.

It's not a complicated bootstrap procedure like in freebsd land, it assumes
you already have a mostly working system (for instance, it takes no precautions
for compiler bootstrap).

follow release(8), find out the step you missed (most likely make obj) and
proceed from there. You definitely want a clean build before you play

(snide remark: you think you're smart, so you took shortcuts. Well, think
again. And anyone who can follow instructions can actually build OpenBSD
fairly easily. ;-) )