On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 01:06:32PM +0100, Peter Kay (Syllopsium) wrote:
>> From: "J.C. Roberts" <list-...@designtools.org>
>> The developers *CONSTANTLY* *ASK* *FOR* *YOUR* *HELP* with testing, but
>> this "dull and heavy" work is somehow below most people who just talk
>> about wanting to become developers and are looking for shortcuts to
>> becoming one.
>>
>> Since validity is critical, if you cannot test properly and hopefully
>> help in the debugging, then you'll never be any good at writing code.
> You're not wrong, but that's a rather black and white way of looking at the
> world.

It's called experience in the open source community.

> When someone starts a new activity - whether that's coding for OpenBSD,
> baking cakes or similar, it's usually necessary to have a visible 'quick
> win' or
> at least sign of progress that encourages the person to carry on and try a
> little harder.

Decoding the human genome wasn't easy yet they embarked on it.  LHC,
anyone?

> Testing does not usually fit into that category - it is indeed 'dull and
> heavy'
> and usually something people expect to be paid for.

Oh and coding is free?  this is *exactly* how the community can help but
apparently they need to be paid for it.

> I understand and mostly agree with the viewpoint that the best way is to
> download code, decide on what needs fixing and keep plugging at it
> until success is achieved.
>
> That's also fine if the OpenBSD community wants to perpetuate the type
> of people that code for it and the size of the community.

Open source development requires a certain level of self-starting
ability.  It also requires a lot of up front time learning and
understanding things such as computer hardware, programming, the
interaction between those two etc.  These are non-trivial skills.  Not
everybody will be a great programmer.

> If (and it is an if) the OpenBSD community wants more resource - both
> coding and testing, there probably needs to be a degree more flexibility.

The code lives in CVS, people reply to email with patches and test data.
What more flexibility do you need?

> Or, in short, we need to not deter people straight away, and accept that
> perhaps sometimes decent programmers start from ones that make lots
> of mistakes.

That means they are not ready yet for OS development and should spend
more time on their own learning some more.

> Perhaps a ports TODO similar to the NetBSD ports TODO might help; it
> doesn't require quite the same level of kernel or userspace hacking and
> provides very visible feedback and thanks once completed.

Or perhaps it wouldn't.

> Neither would I completely rule out a central TODO list linked off
> OpenBSD.org. Sure, it might well be ignored, but the possibility remains
> that someone might take up the task. NetBSD isn't doing too badly with
> Google's Summer of Code initiatives, either.

I have to see the day that anything useful comes out of the GSC.  Why
waste time on writing a todo list that will be ignored?  You see this is
all work on the guy/gal that is already doing the work for free!

> It might not even be a bad idea to puff up new developers a bit :
> 'new developer Fred Bloggs decided to solve PR7738 squashing an
> annoying bug in the ipz(4) driver. John Smith is very grateful for this
> as it enabled him to use his new ServBladePro NZ20 server'

Again, more work for the people that are doing all the work.

Part of being a developer is developing a thick skin to put up with a
community that wants everything for free without contributing any work.
I have seen plenty of people come and go because they don't want to put
up with it and they were perfectly capable of finding work on their own.