On Wed, Aug 18, 2010, Gregory Edigarov wrote:

> Meta1, which is viewed by some as a "sendmail made right" is still in
> very deep pre-alpha state... what a pity.

Despite being called "pre-alpha" MeTA1 runs without problems
for years at various sites.  It's in pre-alpha to make my
life easier: I can make changes without offering backward
compatibility. While I try to avoid that, it reduces my
workload if those changes are deemed necessary (however, I
provided scripts/instructions for upgrading each time this
happened).

Alternatively, I could just go through the release process to make
MeTA1-1.0.0 available and then start MeTA1-2.0.PreAlpha0, but I'm
not sure whether that's the right thing to do.

Do quote the MeTA1 docs:

PreAlpha: This means the software is not feature complete and hence
might be missing some functionality that is considered important
by different users.  Additionally, there might be no compatibility
in data structures stored on disk between different pre-alpha
versions, e.g., when upgrading from PreAlpha16 to PreAlpha17 the
main queue format may have changed without checks in the software
for this.  Hence old queues must be drained before upgrading.
Moreover, the protocols used for communication between MeTA1 modules
may have changed without providing backward compatibility, therefore
modules from different releases must not be used together.  Such
incompatibilities are usually stated in the list of changes.