>> There was a brief window in in late July/early August about a week
>> long where it would successfully suspend and resume, but the screen
>> would never turn back on.  Anytime before or after that and it
>> would suspend fine, but when it resumes it's totally unresponsive
>> to anything except a 4 second press of the power button.

> Exactly my symptoms.

Right, this is what I was expecting.

You maybe can get suspend/resume working again with some caveats.

Try reverting just the part of r1.60 of sys/dev/pci/vga_pci.c that reposts
"All ATI video until further notice". It breaks resume on at least some X1400
devices. (Or maybe adapt the SUBVENDOR SUBPRODUCT masks).

That might get you resuming again. The colours of your X display will
probably
be completely screwed up. This is a bug in the radeon driver in -current.
Quick
workaround: "xgamma -gamma 1.0" (put it in /etc/apm/resume).

You still will not have working consoles after resume, they will be all
black.
I don't have a workaround for that, I just live with it.