>   On 11/02/10 14:10, Aaron Martinez wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a freshly installed 4.8 amd64 system and I was trying to get it
>> set up in dual head mode.  I know this has been discussed before and I
>> have searched through the archives on marc, but for some reason I
>> haven't been able to get it fully working.
>>
>> The current state of this are as such, when i fire up gdm or startx, it
>> looks like it's working, I have to screens, the login in gdm comes up on
>> the left monitor and not on the right.  The right monitor however has
>> the same pattern as when you run the "X -config<xorg_file>" command,
>> kind of a pixely checker pattern.  I can move the curser from the left
>> monitor over to the right, but then it's stuck in that monitor, I can't
>> move it back to the left monitor.  Additionally at that point I can't
>> <CTRL><ALT><backspace>  to kill X and I can't even use<CTRL><ALT><F-KEY>
>> to switch to a non-X desktop/screen.
>>
>> Any and all help greatly appreciated.  My xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log are
>> below.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Aaron
>>

> It took me a while to figure out how to make this work.  I hope it works
> for you.
> Here are the relevant parts of my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier   "Monitor0"
>          VendorName   "LCD"
>          ModelName    "SP9106"
>          HorizSync    31.0 - 83.0
>          VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
>          Option      "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier "Monitor1"
>          Option "RightOf" "Monitor0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier  "Card0"
>          Driver      "radeonhd"
>          VendorName  "ATI"
>          BoardName   "Radeon HD 4850"
>          BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>          Option  "Monitor-DVI-I_1/digital" "Monitor0"
>          Option  "Monitor-DVI-I_2/digital" "Monitor1"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>          Identifier "Screen0"
>          Device     "Card0"
>          Monitor    "Monitor0"
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     1
>          EndSubSection
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     4
>          EndSubSection
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     8
>          EndSubSection
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     15
>          EndSubSection
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     16
> [...]

Hi Brian,

Did you have to use the xrandr in your .xinitrc as well along with this,
or are you saying that you have dual head working without the xrandr?

I was a little surprised when I saw that you have it working like this
because man xorg.conf states the following:

" Screen  number
              This option is mandatory for cards where a single PCI entity
can
              drive more than one display (i.e., multiple CRTCs sharing a
sin-
              gle  graphics accelerator and video memory).  One Device
section
              is required for each head, and this parameter  determines
which
              head  each  of the Device sections applies to.  The legal
values
              of number range from 0 to one less  than  the  total  number
 of
              heads  per entity.  Most drivers require that the primary
screen
              (0) be present.
"

I am going to try your configuration tomorrow however as it seems a little
cleaner.

One additional thing that I have noticed is that your config doesn't
mention the "virtual" option on the display subsections.  When I have run
xrandr it complains with the following error:

xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1920x1080 (desired size 3840x1080)

Thanks

Aaron