On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Bryan <bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been hampered with this for a few years now, and at most times,
> it was easier to copy the file to a Windows box and print.  But I'm
> tired of having to do this, and have begun researching how to print to
> a printer on the network.  I recently bought a Brother 9840CDW, which
> supports lpd and postscript.  It also allows for FTP of files to queue
> among other things.  It's probably more printer (scanner, fax, copier)
> than I need, but I'm tired of HP printers and the toner issues they
> have.  It is a really nice printer in Windows, and the scanner is most
> excellent and fast.  And according to the LInux foundation site
> (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting)
> it works perfectly.  Of course, I have to take this with a grain of
> salt, because of Linux's willingness to add proprietary drivers,
> firmware, etc.

While I think it's possible to print using lpd, and people have done
it, I found it to be about 10x easier to install cups and use that.

You go to localhost:631, type in the printer's name, upload a ppd file
downloaded from linuxprinting, and done.

You can make lpd and postscript work if you know how they work, but
figuring things out if you don't can take a long time.