On Jan 30 19:30:46, Bryan wrote:

> >> You keep saying and thinking that it supports post script. It does
> >> not. Otherwise feeding it a postscript file would print the document,
> >> not the postscript text/source.
> >
> > A really minor nit: The printer *may* support PostScript, but only in a
> > sp34ecific fashion.
> >

> Yea, the printer doesn't do "Postscript" (ARRRGGHHH!), but after I
> configured cups, which was not too painful, I've been able to print
> the .ps file, and the .pdf file that I had created earlier.  I was
> even able to print the .png that I had in the directory.  I printed
> across three pages, but it printed...  the only thing that didn't
> print was a .doc that I had, which did not print in kword, but
> libreoffice works just fine.
>
> Honestly, this is leaps and bounds ahead of where I was two weeks ago.
>
> I still want to figure out the lpd, but for now, cups is working fine
> with the ppd supplied by Brother...

With the same PPD file, you should be able to print with lpd.
This is what works for me eith a non-postcript HP printer
(the PPD file coes from one of the foomatic* packages):

lp|HP Color laserJet 2600n:\
        :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
        :af=/etc/foomatic/HP-Color_LaserJet_2600n.ppd:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sh: