2011/2/11 Tissio Fechine <precheca...@yahoo.com.br>:
> It's not only in Arch, Debian/Ubuntu/OpenSUSE say the same thing.
> Anyway.. It's the header in all src files at /drivers/staging/brcm80211/:
> --
> /*
>  * Copyright (c) 2010 Broadcom Corporation
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any
>  * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
>  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
>  *
>  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
>  * WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
>  * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
ANY
>  * SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
>  * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
ACTION
>  * OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
>  * CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
>  */
> --

Wow, you didn't even bother looking at the license did you? Okay, I'll
list just a small sections from the license (again at
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/hybrid-portsrc_x86_32-v5_100_82_38.tar
.gz
) to show my point.

2.2.    Restriction on Modification.  If and to the extent that the
Software is designed to be compliant with any published communications
standard (including, without limitation, DOCSIS, HomePNA, IEEE, and
ITU standards), Licensee may not make any modifications to the
Software that would cause the Software or the accompanying Broadcom
Products to be incompatible with such standard.

Point here is the license is not GPL nor GPL compatible and if the
driver they are using really is the official Broadcom Corporation
driver, they are ALL lying. Otherwise, they've got some other driver
they are using, and I'm curious why they are crediting Broadcom for
making it. I would guess that someone fibbed about it to the Debian
repos and the rest of them have ported it onward to their own distros.

-Sky