Somebody suggested me to have a look at OpenSMTPD-extras. It contains
table-passwd. I've got an idea. What if I wrote a custom module that is
about to be called by OpenSMTPD upon authentication like table-passwd?
(table-passwd requires another file to store credentials in, and I
insist on using /etc/passwd only).

The only question is that is it possible to perform this kind of
authentication in plain text? In other words, will OpenSMTPD call my
module if plain text authentication is tried by the client? (I don't
have enough capacity now to play with self-signed certificates, TLS
etc) Yes, I know, there are security concerns... But technically, is it
possible with OpenSMTPD?
--
Selmeci Tamás
http://www.486.hu/