On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 06:49:25PM +0200, Jakub Jirutka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was playing a bit with new proc filters and wrote a very simple filter
> for rewriting email address in both MAIL FROM command and From header
> with the specified email address... in just ~60 lines of AWK!
>
> https://github.com/jirutka/opensmtpd-filter-rewrite-from
>
> I'm really impressed how simple yet powerful is the new proc filter
> interface! The fact that you can implement a simple filter in fews lines
> of such limited language as AWK clearly proves the simplicity. No
> language-specific API and bindings, no complex formats or craps like
> gRPC, just plain old processes, stdin/stdout and simple line-oriented
> protocol with delimiter-separated fields. The proper Unix way. <3

You. made. my. day :-)

I'm glad that I resisted the pressure to implement milters and to push a
ton of features in the daemon because the implementation is exactly what
we wanted to achieve: fast, easy and secure. Took time but we are there.

We lose the many milters that are available, but the simplicity allows a
rewrite of any filter we need in a very short time, including maybe some
milter interface on top of our implementation if someone feels like it.

Looking forward to see what the community builds with this !

--
Gilles Chehade                                                 @poolpOrg

https://www.poolp.org            patreon: https://www.patreon.com/gilles