Hello Edgar,

thanks very much for your in depth reply and the effort you've put into it.

As for the "user" keyword, the way I understand this, it that it equals the "as" statement in the old version.

... lmtp "/run/cyrus/lmtp" rcpt-to ->as nobody<-

Does however not work as I imangined. I am currently trying to get 6.4.2 up and running this week, see next thread.

Back to your reply: That catchall from your example in "@ catchall" is not a keyword, is it? But a local user accout?

> but some real user has to own the mailbox...

Care to explain, why is that? From my unknowledgable point of view, the mailbox handling should be done on the other side of the lmtpd socket. This misconception is at the very heart of my question.

The idea being that smtpd connects to the lmtp socket as user "nobody" (in my example) and delivers the mail to whatever is watining on the other side. So the only privileges required should be to connect to the socket, what in turn requires a system user.

Basically I am hoping to get the same behaviour for lmtp devilvery as for relay, where I can specify a mail-from list and it works like a charm, from a 6.5 installation:

action "relay" relay host smtp+notls://192.168.1.1:25
match mail-from <vusers> for domain "example.com" action "relay"

Maybe with 6.4.2p with will also work with lmtp. Will hopefully be able to test that later this week and report back

Thanks again

Ede