For what it's worth, it turns out LibreSSL 3.0.2 was released three days ago.

We have made it possible to build with OpenSSL but our target is still LibreSSL,
which means that code is written assuming LibreSSL and we test mostly with
LibreSSL.

Unsurprisingly we recommend that package maintainers have OpenSMTPD depend upon
LibreSSL,
and only fallback to OpenSSL if not possible.

Some features may be lacking when doing that fallback,
for instance ECDSA server certificates will only work if linked against
LibreSSL.