On the subject of catch all aliases, I tried adding one to my setup with odd results.

My usual setup with virtual users:

action deliver_lmtp lmtp "/var/run/dovecot/lmtp" rcpt-to virtual <virtuals> userbase <userinfo>

match from any for domain <domains> rcpt-to <recipients> action deliver_lmtp

To get catch all working, I had to remove rcpt-to <recipients> from the match:

match from any for domain <domains> action deliver_lmtp

Otherwise the response was: 550 Invalid recipient: <a...@abc.abc>

One I removed the actual catch all alias and sent mail to a non-existent account, the usual:

550 Invalid recipient: <a...@abc.abc>

turned into: