Hey Keith, Hey Ryan,

for my feeling we are talking about two different features or use cases
looking at the high end solutions when finished:

1.) "DJs best friend" who answers the question which song suites best as
next track
titel? "

for 1.)
As discussed in https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/889898. I like the
Idea to have the special view, only taking screen space (and CPU) if the
DJ explicit ask "his best friend". Also I like the "automatic" part of
this approach. Keith did good step heading in this direction. As already
requested by Jens we should add an additional crate selection. What
about having a (static) preselected set of Crates for the evening. And a
quick selectable active Crate. At the "Active Library Filter GUI" you
can just select  "From All Crates", "From Set Crates", "From Active
Crates".  Changing the Crates state itself can be done via crate context
menu like "Lock" today.

(By the Way: The (static) preselected Set of Crates could be also use to
move parts of the library to a netbook or stick for your next guest
session GSoC: "Library Database Management")

@Keith: do you have already a filter for rating?  (At least ..)

With this state we are prepared to do the next step and adding math to
the Active Library Filter.
Like weight the current song metatdata and the metadata of the song
before .. and so on.

for 2.)
I think it is right that the library search feature from
~bloodybeet/mixxx/features_search is powerful but  not self explaining.
(I have never used it).  A drawer like GUI for tuning the search
statement will be very useful.  Clementine-player has a nice search GUI,
not suitable as it is but maybe a good starting point.

Kind regards,

Daniel