Hi Daniel,

sorry didn't see your post until now.

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 21:10:24 +0200
Daniel Schürmann <daschuer-opwvymzfgylytjvyw6y...@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi petah,
>
> I am thinking for a while for a similar solution for Mixxx. IMHO this could
> be relay great addition to have an addition IPC automation interface for
> Mixxx.
>
> It would be nice if you could describe some more details of your project.

My project is pretty single-minded, I put the source code and as much info as
bearable on www.hackerdjs.com/software/cdj2midi.html (no more URL posting lest
I get branded a poser:)

> Here some unsorted points:
> * OSC: would be a nice addition for Mixxx, but IMHO there is no strong
> demand because of a special use case. We may update our Wiki
> http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/osc_backend if we have any.

I think OSC's #1 advantage is it's backwards-compatible with MIDI but has much
more data resolution. All the discovery/learn stuff is overkill because so few
other software implement it.

I wrote an OSC client using OSCpack a while back and it's simple enough.

> * Qmidinet <http://qmidinet.sourceforge.net/qmidinet-index.html>, is a nice
> Midi UDP solution which works fine with Mixxx. It would be nice if we
> implement it's Interface within Mixxx itself.

That sounds great, I'll check it out. OSC is also UDP-based btw.

> * MPRIS-Dbus interface: This should be not a big deal to implemet because
> of the very well Qt Dbus interface. But a lot of work anyway.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mixxx/+spec/dbus
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mixxx-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f@public.gmane.org/msg04684.html

I've never written to a DBus so can't comment one way or another.

> * alsa snd_seq: Let your application be a midi device. Then you can use the
> full power of midi scripting inside Mixxx. http://fundamental-code.com/midi/

Vanilla MIDI doesn't really solve my problem with is resolution.

> Hope that heps!

Definitely does, will check out the links, thx!

-- p