We've been making really good progress recently (hurray covers!), and I
want to get a feel for what other people think about the current status
of the build as well as put some pressure behind a beta release.  To
that end, at some regular interval, maybe every two weeks, I'll send an
email to the list asking "Why not now?"  The idea being, the devs should
provide a list of the fixes/features/work that they think are preventing
a beta release.

For myself, I'd say my only major blocker is that the Deere skin needs
to be cleaned up.  Max and I had talked about some things, and he
mentioned some manual work that needs to be done.  I need to flesh out
the bits about master sync, the midi wizard, and the new skin system for
example.

The problem with this tactic is that I've been sitting around waiting
for someone to pick up the Deere skin work.  That creates a conflict
between me thinking the skin needs fixing for the release, but nobody is
doing it.  So my controversial addition to this plan is: if you think
something is a blocker, you do the work on it :).  If you think someone
else's PR needs to get finished, I think it's time to just pick it up
and finish it.  So this weekend I will start poking at Deere, removing
all the crazy background colors and cleaning it up.

(There has been some hesitation releasing a beta because a beta should
be releasable as a proper major version if it goes well. I actually
disagree, since that's what I'd call a "release candidate."  But if we
want to call the next release an alpha2 that's ok with me.)

So like I said, here are my blockers:

* Deere skin work
* Manual updates

So, why not now?