Hi Markus,

thank you for you second library model.

We have discussed such a model earlier, but it was difficult to
generalize is in the back-end.

The current model has a nice generalized object model.
See the exploded drawing on:
http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/library_layout_redesign

For my feeling the switching of the left pane will happen
"as expected".
If done right, it will offer the right view for every common use case
without being cluttered.
The left pane could always support the DJ best for the specific task.
Paired with a new drop target, it will IMHO work well.

If you wish to do a mock-up, you may Inkscape and this template:
https://github.com/jmigual/mixxxDocuments/blob/master/Layout_2.svg
or any other tool.