Am 11.09.2017 um 19:21 schrieb Be:
I was using Mixxx to compare my MOTU Ultralite AVB with my RME Babyface Pro (to decide whether to keep the Ultralite and sell the Babyface Pro) by sending Deck 1 to one sound card and Deck 2 to the other. After a while, one of them started crackling. I have not tested again to check if I can reproduce the issue, but I can try.

This sounds like the issue we have if you disable multi-soundcard sync. If this happens on any other setting, we have still an issue in our syncing code. Which Audio API did you use? Could you try it again? Or test your remaining soundcard with your internal soundcard?

IMO it is better to recommend a DJ splitter cable than USB thumb type sound card. Those USB thumb type sound cards come from lots of unknown manufacturers and sometimes have quirks in the hardware and/or driver that make them difficult to configure, particularly on Windows. On the other hand, plugging a DJ splitter cable into an onboard sound card is certain to work if the onboard sound card works and does not have the issue of using two sound cards.

Interestingly an USB thumb sound card is cheaper than a spitter cable and has in most cases a headphone amp included and keeps the stereo signal valid. So If you do not play that sound to your audience, it is a perfectly valid solution. It is OK not to recommend it. But it feels also odd remove it entirely from the article. At least we should discuss pro and cons in the main USB chapter and not ignore it.