Hi all,

First off a bit of background to the multi-threading in the current stable
branch.  First off:

- Parallelism is primarily frame-by-frame.  This means that the final phases
of the encoding lock on completion of the reference frame (prediction and DCT
transform) and the predecessor (bit allocation).   If you have a really fast
CPU that motion estimates and DCT's very fast you will get lower
parallelisation.  If you use -R 0 you will get very litte parallelism *at
all*.   Certainly not enough to make -M 3 sensible.

- There is also a parallel read-ahead thread but this rarely soaks much CPU on
modern CPUs.

The MPEG_DEVEL branch encoder stripes all encoding phases to allow much more
scalable parallelisation.  You might want to give it a go - I'd be interested
in the results!

N.b. in a 'realistic' scenario you're running the multiplexer and audio
encoding in parallel with the encoder and video filters communicating via
pipes and named FIFO's.   This setup usually saturate a modern dual machine

cheers,

        Andrew
PS
I'm away on vacation for a couple of weeks from friday so there'll be a bit of
pause in answering emails / posts from then ;-)