I think the sure fire method would be to pull the fuel pump relay, and use
a jumper across the correct terminals. And have you tested the transfer
pump to main pump yet? And have you tested the main pump itself following
your refurb? I've found it's always best to verify everything from the
beginning, so you're not miss identifying the true problem. Been there,
done that...

~Holland

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CABrbKBnu99ufmj01jpSOgrOnmkgNgzXsCyo6q1BS07mMh900zQ%40mail.gmail.com.