Ok, gents, Christian told me now might be a good time to start poking
at the new indy backend with JRuby, so I got a build together and have
been playing with it a bit.

First off, getting it to build...

Stephen B's gist still works fine: https://gist.github.com/243072

But I had to issue one additional command to get xcode tools in the
right places for command-line build of OpenJDK:

sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

This is latest Lion and Xcode (4.3.2). I previously installed the
command-line tools through the Xcode interface.

OK...so the next thing was getting the patches to apply. I essentially
just disabled coro and removed -testable and -/meth from all
meth-related patches. I'm not sure if this is the right list, but
here's what actually applied before the build:
https://gist.github.com/faf4437f5985828f3111

With that, I was able to build and things started to run. But not for long! :)

First thing I tested was fib, and it ran incredibly slow...like 3
orders of magnitude slow. So I figured it must not be compiling.
Turned on -XX:+PrintCompilation, got an AIOOB exception. Turned it
off, consistently getting either segfaults or an AIOOB exception.

Here's a couple dumps (exception during PrintCompilation, segfault,
exception): https://gist.github.com/5ecfacea1a3f23ceaf9f

So there it is for the moment :) Thoughts?

- Charlie