On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM, John Rose <john.r.r...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Thanks for testing.  Sorry it didn't get so far!  I think we have a depot
> bug and/or race condition.  It may be that more cores make the bug happen
> more.

Oh yes, I should explain the system I'm on, in case it's relevant...

OS X Lion, newish MBP, 4-core, 16GB memory.

fib fails consistently in a variety of ways...NullPointer, ArrayIndex,
ClassCast. Here's a few more traces:

https://gist.github.com/4f72d09d0bb945801211

> I am able to grind through things like bench/bench_red_black.rb in several
> modes, such as [1].  Yes, it is slow, so something is out of tune.  We are
> going for correctness at the moment.

Indeed...I don't expect to see performance at this point. I was just
hoping to get JRuby green on the new work, and running these few
benchmarks were my sanity test before I proceeded with that.

red_black is a good benchmark, as are richards and neural. fib, tak,
and base64 are nice simple numeric benchmarks.

I was also able to run red_black for some time with your command line,
but the same command line failed to run fib successfully. Recursion?
Deep stacks?

Happy to try anything or provide dumps or log output.

My fib command line is generally:

jruby <JVM options> bench/bench_fib_recursive.rb 10 35

- Charlie