Thomas stated
        A successful research project should ultimately also advance the
state
        of the art of what is used in production.

Thomas one of the reasons many of us are building on the JVM is to take
advantage of the entire
universe of Java code available.  Truffle, to me at least, appears as a
replacement for Java and the
JVM not an addition.  Nice if ones goal is to make a new Smalltalk,  not
so nice if one wants a
Smalltalk DSL.

It would be interesting if Truffle could be used to create JNI like method
handles on the fly.  Then
I could do what I do today.  Today I find hot spots, write them in C, call
them with JNI.  The problem is that
JNI calls are not like hotspot jit code calls ( threads, safe point
issues, heap access etc).  I am hoping that
the Panama project makes a JNI call more like an intrinsic.  They I could
use the LLVM jit to do the
C  part on the fly.  Or actually it seems like Truffle could do this as
well.  So Truffle as an add on would
be interesting,  it just has not been presented as such.

I think your research is very interesting.

regards
mark