As another note... I hadn't really thought about it this way before-
and I don't know if these were your thoughts at all- but I can see how
someone could view giving a score of 4 on a scale from 0-5 as meaning
"80% mastered" or something, instead of "being learned at the
completely optimal rate." So from that perspective, a score of 5 would
be considered more "desirable" than a score of 4, even though a score
of 5 is actually <i>sub</i>-optimal from the perspective of the
algorithm (i.e., it means the card has been displayed too early, and
that the user's memory didn't get properly refreshed).

Has anyone else brought up this potential interface issue? I imagine
it ought to be self-correcting (i.e. when someone suddenly starts
lapsing on those cards, they'll give them lower scores) but it's an
interesting problem.