DM> geez.  i don't recall "Apache::Registry vs. pure PerlHandler" or
DM> "Apache::Request vs. CGI.pm" ever being so harsh.

Personally, I do all my scripting in Apache::Registry.  Why?  Because
it is easy, and I don't always have the ability to restart the server
to update some code or modify the config to add the handler mappings.
With a bit of careful coding, you avoid any problems referred to here
before.

My question to all of you who use handlers directly, how do you manage
all your handler mappings?  I've seen it done where you add a
<Location> mapping for each handler you use, which corresponds to each
"program" you need.  This, in my experience, tends to be error prone
and results in much cruft in your httpd.conf file.

What other approaches are there?  I think having some equivalent of
Apache::Registry which will automatically dispatch a URI to a handler,
and suck in the module if necessary would be a useful thing.  (Gosh, I
hope there isn't one already that I've missed .... ;-)

As for CGI.pm being a memory pig, yep... it sure is.  I used to use
CGI::Base and CGI::Request modules extensively, but they seem to have
started collecting virtual dust and nobody maintains them anymore...

Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
PGP & MIME spoken here            http://www.kciLink.com/home/khera/