From: Doug MacEachern [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2000 3:27 PM
To: Stas Bekman
Cc: Stewart Quealy; mod_perl list; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [RFC] holding a mod_perl conference

i'll share my thoughts on this that we discussed at ApacheCon.
i'm not sure about a dedicated "mod_perl conference" standing on it's own
two feet.  at least, not at the production level of ApacheCon or oracon,
but maybe something like YAPC.  but i do know that there is not a
conference which has been able to provide enough time for complete
in-depth mod_perl coverage.

the 2nd Perl conference came close, with a track dedicated to Apache, all
of which were mod_perl related.  the turn out was high for all talks and
feedback good.  but that diluted when o'reilly switched gears to hosting x
number of conferences in one.  even more so this year, in fact, o'reilly
blew me off, i wasn't involved with any planning until i mailed them and
planning was half done.

there were 3 mod_perl talks at the first ApacheCon and a few more at
second.  (of course, i had strep throat for the first ApacheCon and only
made it to the second at the last minute thanks to my job change)

so the question is, do we try to make the adjustments in ApacheCon and/or
oracon to provide enough room/time for complete mod_perl coverage or spawn
another conference?

i would be happy with something like the 98 Perl conference, where at
any given time during the 2-3 days, there was a talk related to mod_perl.
there wasn't mod_perl tutorial time however, which would be a requirement
for complete coverage.

if stas' idea were to spawn into another conference, i think the
"Scripting languages for WebDev" idea is too broad.  what i think would be
more useful/focused would be ""Scripting languages for Apache".  which
would cover:

- Perl (mod_perl)
- PHP  (mod_php)
- Java (jserv, jakarta)
- XML ?
- Python ?
- TCL ??
- misc: chillisoft ASP, etc.
- missing ?

sure, there might be some overlap with ApacheCon and oracon, but if it's
scheduled at the right time, in the right place, i think it could work out
quite well.