John Edstrom ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said something to this effect:
> The problem here is that you can't simply cache the page, because the
> server and even the script can't know when to replace the cached page
> until after its heard from the database or the source that is feeding
> the database.  It can't be transparent to the programmer since it
> requires some knowledge about how to test whether or not a new page
> needs to be built.  A semi-static page can help performance here if
> the db query is slowish and the page is requested more frequently than
> the db changes.

Generate an E-Tag based on the content of the page, put it into the
generated page, and use mod_asis to send it along with the page; you're
done. Why make it more difficult? Let Apache, the browser, and the file
system decide who gets what, and when.

(darren)

--
If a tree falls in a forest, and there's nobody around, can I have it?