> Or have them be resident in memory, which squid can do.  Why reinvent this?

 b/c to use squid, you have to be able to use HTTP headers to do
 cache validation. sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

> Putting squid in front of an Apache server used to be very popular - has
> it fallen out of favor?  Most of the answers given in this thread seem
> to be more of the roll-your-own-cache variety.

 it serves it's purpose very well... but it doesn't give you much control
 over the validation model.

 for example, in discussion software you have a very clear moment when you
 want to invalidate specific pages: when a message arrives. now i don't want
 squid or any other cache to even check w/ every request. i know darn well
 when the cache is no longer valid!

 having an interface to the caching software is one solution to this.. at
 mathforum.com we modified the HTML::Mason caching code to allow us to
 do this, but it's _much_ slower than writing static pages.

 anyway, hopefully this explains why it's an interesting idea.

 Aaron