--On Wednesday, July 26, 2000 8:22 AM -0700 Denton River
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HI list,
>
> My company is using mod_perl right now and i like it
> alot, but now are they wanting us to start develop in
> PHP i really like to stay mod_perl, so i am askin you
> for some help,

That's not a simple question, and you haven't really said what kinds of
applications you're using mod-perl for.  In a nutshell, mod-perl is a much
more complex tool than PHP, but it also enables you to do much more complex
tasks.  PHP works at the Apache response phase, mod-perl gives you access
to all the request phases.  PHP a powerfull, but still limited tool.
Mod-perl gives you full access to perl and to any and all existing perl
packages (anything on CPAN or anywhere else).

Both packages have their place, and I use both.  If the kinds of web
applications you develop clearly fit into one camp or the other, than use
one or the other exclusively.  But if it's a mixed bag, use the tool most
appropriate to the application.  Also, for basic dynamic page generation,
learning and using PHP is a simpler task than learning and using mod-perl.
That's real important to keep in mind when hiring developers who may have
no experience with either tool -- and "OH MY!!" may not even know perl --
shutter to think.  ;-).

> I would really like to have something to say to my
> boss,
> like this is why i want to use mod_perl instedd of PHP
> so my question is "Why should i use mod_perl insted of
> PHP.
>
> Denton
>
> ps. we are workin alot with XML.

I'm not sure if there are XML parsers available for PHP or not.  If not,
that would certainly make a difference in what tool to use.

> Get Yahoo! Mail ? Free email you can access from anywhere!
> http://mail.yahoo.com/

-- Rob

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]