The great thing about mod_perl is that you can, with just a little
training in some common traps (global variables), turn a perl programmer
into a mod_perl programmer.

To turn someone into a PHP programmer you have to teach them the perl-like
PHP syntax.

PHP is popular. If you are drowning in PHP applicants, I say go for it.

But since you say you are already a mod_perl shop, it sounds like you
are trading in one of the most powerful apache tools in for a way to
embed code in your HTML.

There are MANY ways to make a PHP like mod_perl environment.
HTML::Mason (www.masonhq.com), Embperl or you could just have mod_perl
support PHP itself with mod_php. As Jason Bodnar noted, they do not
like playing with each other as DSOs.

If my perceptions are misplaced about PHP, please feel free to correct me.

Thanks,

JoshKoshB'Gosh