Watching this discussion has been very interesting, I am all for
separating the HTML and the code portions and have been unable to think of
a good solution to this particular problem. I ran across smartworker
(http://www.smartworker.org) a while ago and even though I have not had
the time/chance to implement such a system, it certainly looks like an
interesting method of doing things. XML+XSLT is an interesting combination
but integrating that into a dynamic generator (perl based or other) is
going to be nontrivial to say the very least. Is there anyone interested
in exploring this?

I could go off about why HTML sucks for dynamic page caching. If there was
somehow a way to cache say the template, leaving only the same dynamic
portion uncached, it would certainly help things along quite a bit. If
anyone knows of a good way of doing this I would certainly be interested
in hearing it.

--Jauder