At 10:26 AM 11/15/00 -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>hi all...
>
>I was wondering if anyone has some experience with expire headers for
>dynamic documents - kinda like mod_expires but for dynamic stuff.

Geoff,

Are you thinking about client/browsers or proxy caching with regard to
this?  Or does it matter?

I currently use Last-modified and Content-length headers in my dynamic
content that doesn't change much, but I've never considered using Expires,
but maybe it's because I'm not fully up on what help Expires does.

I have assumed that most browsers cache my documents and don't re-request
them in their current session, so am I correct that Expires would only help
for cases of browsers/clients that return to the page sometime in the
future yet before the document Expires, and after closing their browser?  I
wonder how to determine how many requests that would save.

Also, if a cached document is past its Expired time, does that force the
client to get a new document, or can it still use If-Modified-Since?
mod_expires indicates that a new document must be loaded, but RFC 2616
indicates that it can use If-Modified-Since (who know what the clients will
do).

I should know this too, but what effect does the presence of a query string
in the URL have on this?

Bill Moseley
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]