On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Jeremy Howard wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
> > Come'n, are you sure you have ever looked at perl.apache.org?
> >
> > http://perl.apache.org/#docs
> >
> > Books and Documentation:
> >
> >                        Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C book by
> >                        Lincoln Stein and Doug MacEachern.
> >
> >                  ==>   Start learning mod_perl with the mod_perl Guide
> >                        by Stas Bekman.
> > <...>
> I remember when I started with mod_perl last year, I didn't notice the guide
> until I saw it mentioned on the list. perl.apache.org is a long page, and
> it's not obvious what order to read the various links in... The FAQ linked
> to on this page includes 'What documentation should I read?' and doesn't
> include the Guide in the answer... The link to the guide is the 32nd of 97
> links on this page... It is one of 11 documentation links... So I guess what
> I'm trying to say is that it's not that obvious ;-)

Let me ask you this question. When you are looking for something in a fat
book, do you just read all the pages and then say, ouch this item I was
looking for was placed on page 789. No you don't -- you look at the Table
of Contents or the index pages.

So the perl.apache.org/index.html has its TOC:

                       Download
                       Take23: News and Resources for the mod_perl world
                       Perl Apache Modules
                       Help with Perl Apache Modules Wanted
              =======> Books and Documentation
                       mod_perl in Magazines
                       Mailing Lists and Contact Info

and then when you click on the obvious link, you get to another list,
where the guide is listed after the eagle book.

> Maybe the mod_perl site could start with:
> ----
> New to mod_perl? First, <a href="http://perl.apache.org/dist/">download</a>
> it and then <a href="http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html">learn</a> to
> install it. Now read <a href="http://perl.apache.org/guide/">"The Guide"</a>
> and become and mod_perl guru!
> ----
> ...or something like that.

It used to be like that, but then people didn't see other documents
available.

It just shows that people don't really look at the available resources.
And no, don't tell me that I know where to find things because I already
know where they are. I've spent time thinking how this should be done so
it'd be as obvious as possible where things are to be found.

Moreover when you subscribe to the mailing list, you receive a special
email explaining what are the available resources are and where to find
them.

Please don't take it personally, it's just that quite many people came
here asking questions that were long time ago answered and documented. It
just shows people's ignorance, lack of respect and wish to get things the
easy way.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/