Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> > > I guess two persons "simpler" aren't always the same: I find it easier
> > > laying out a table and querying it than hacking something to fiddle with
> > > my crontab safely.
> >
> > As far as I know, crontab -e is perfectly safe.
>
> "crontab -l | foo" and "foo | crontab -" are your friends.

Ah yes. The problem with this is between the "crontab -l" and the
"crontab -". You have to parse the crontab, find your own entry without
disturbing other entries, mix in your new/modified entry, etc... Not
that it's impossible, but I don't like this very much and I find
INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE easier.

Also, I'm not totally sure a piped open would be okay in Apache, since
this has a fork() underneath. Probably that it cannot be done in the
obvious straightforward way, 'open("crontab -l |")'. I would have to go
through the Apache subprocess API and do things I'd rather not be doing
(hey, I was the one annoyed by path_info not being translated for me :-)
).

Call me lazy. :-)

--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten
years of careful development." -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]