On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

> > > As far as I know, crontab -e is perfectly safe.
> >
> > "crontab -l | foo" and "foo | crontab -" are your friends.
>
> Ah yes. The problem with this is between the "crontab -l" and the
> "crontab -". You have to parse the crontab, find your own entry without
> disturbing other entries, mix in your new/modified entry, etc... Not
> that it's impossible, but I don't like this very much and I find
> INSERT/SELECT/UPDATE easier.

I might be barking at the wrong tree, but why cron? Why don't you use
at(1). you don't need to parse crontab for that, and you can spawn
processes with whatever intervals on demand. basically you can call
at(1) itself at the end of at() so you can do the same as crontab.

See http://man.he.net/man1/at
(I don't seem to find the manpage for at(1) on Mandrake box :(

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/