On Wed, 9 May 2001, Morbus Iff wrote:

>  >> Ahhh. Ok. What's this $SIG{'USR2'} thingy. What's that do?
>  >
>  >http://perl.apache.org/guide
>
> Well, that's all fine and dandy, and I've gone through there before, but
> the only thing the search engine brings up concerning USR2 is:
>
>    >The above code asigns a signal handler for the USR2 signal.
>    >This signal has been chosen because it's least likely to be
>    >used by the other parts of the server.
>
> That, unfortunately doesn't tell me what causes a USR2 signal to be sent to
> Apache. Or when it's caused. I only want to reload the file when said file
> has changed. Am I supposed to do some checking against the file -M time
> myself, and then send a USR2 signal myself?

You didn't search the guide, even if you try to make everyone believe that
you did, and starting a thread that was documented long time ago (I'm
talking about using USR2, not the caching technique). The first hit in the
search gives:
http://thingy.kcilink.com/modperlguide/debug/Using_the_Perl_Trace.html
which is exactly what you need.

Your question about reloading something from within the code is answered
here:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#Configuration_Files_Writing_Dy
and here:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#Using_Apache_Reload