On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:41:50AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
>Trevor Phillips wrote:
>>
>>Is there any way to control which daemon handles a certain request with apache
>>1.x?
>>
>>eg; Out of a pool of 50 daemons, restricting accesses to a certain mod_perl
>>application to 10 specific daemons would improve the efficiency of data cached
>>in those processes.
>Making sure the browser supports HTTP 1.1 (persistent connections) will
>get you a lot better performance in many cases, since a particular user
>will tend to keep hitting the same daemon, so that helps if they're
>hitting the same or a related script over and over.

This only works within the keepalive timeout. (default configuration 15s)

>In one case, I was seeing really bad performance from an app, but it
>seemed acceptable to the users, who were all running IE, where I was
>running Netscape, which still doesn't support 1.1 in version 4
>browsers.  :-(  Dunno about 6, Mozilla, etc.

This is only true if you're serving images off the mod_perl server which
is crazy unless you're generating them.

Anyway: the point of this post was:
  http://perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html#KeepAlive

Sorry.

Although: Stas:
  "Since keepalive connections will not incur the additional three-way TCP
   handshake, turning it off will be kinder to the network."
erm....???? Surely if you turn it *on* you'll be kinder to the network,
because you're not reinitiating the handshake?

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           http://colondot.net/