Another application (commercial) is Mercury Interactive's LoadRunner. It
actually records events and plays it back on "load generator" machines.
It's fairly complex, has LOTs of knobs to turn and can load test quite a
bit more than just web apps, I use it to load test/benchmark Oracle 11i
for instance. The software is not cheap but definitely worth looking into
if you are serious about testing. (www.merc-int.com)

They also sell something called ActiveTest which may be more suited to a
web applications. In this case, they will test your site for you using
their hardware at a colo site.

--Jauder