On Wed, Oct 07, 1998, Alan Spicer wrote:

>[...]
> >1. Try to find out wheter there are 5.0 updates related to kernel and libc
> >   from RedHat which perhaps solve your problems. Because other RH 5.0 users
> >   reported similar problems for Apache recently, the chance is high that
> >   there is something broken under RH 5.0. Especially the glibc2 stuff causes
> >   problems. After people have downgraded to libc5 Apache worked for them.
> >   Perhaps this is the case for you, too.
> >
> >2. After 1.) failed you can create an "rse" account on your box,
> >   reachable via SSH. Then when I find time I can spent an hour to trace the
> >   code. This way we at least know at which corner the problem is.

> * Wow. Tell me again how to tell what C Library I have? I remember recently
> installing some software that had to be downloaded depending on which libc.
> I want to compare which libc the local "working" mod_ssl has as compared to
> the remote 2 machines that currently won't work with mod_ssl. I'm a little
> leary about changing libc's on these two remote production machines. I don't
> want to break anything else that is currently working.

I've no RedHat box available, so I cannot help you here. But when these are
production machines you should be carefully.  Only upgrade or downgrade libc
when you really know what you're doing. Then the best way for you is to
install a different machine under RH 5.1 (where people didn't reported
problems), try mod_ssl there and when it goes fine you can thing about
upgrading the OS on your production machine. I recommend you to consult any
RH/Linux-related newsgroups or mailing lists for this, because we usually
cannot help you here, of course.

> It's funny ... I'd think my local machine, running a Cyrix clone Pentium would
> be the problem one ;-) I had to recently install a patch so that GCC could
> compile 'C' programs at all. It was specific to problems with Cyrix 6x86's and
> GCC. Anyway I think all three have the same type of glibc, but I want to
> confirm that. Funny now the Cyrix is the one that WORKS and not the true blue
> Intel Pentium's ;-)

It's not related to the CPU, IMHO. I'm sure you messed up something
related to your libc or the compiler.

> All three machines were originally installed from the same RedHat 5.0 CD from
> Macmillan Computer Publishing.

Yes "originally", but know you have a different installation.... ;-)