On Sun, Nov 15, 1998, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> > 1. Although it's a HTML/online document, it's prepared
> >    to form a nice paper/offline document when printed
> >    via Postscript from Netscape 4.x.
>
> May be better to put .ps and .pdf files for download as well ?

Yes, I'll create PS files on www.engelschall.com, too. And when Ghostscript
can handle the generated PS files I'll create PDF with it as well.

> > 2. It's a lot more comprehensive than the mod_ssl 2.0 documentation.
> >    Especially because it now contains a large SSL introduction chapter to
> >    smooth the nasty stone-path new users have to walk when they want to use
> >    SSL with Apache.
>
> > 3. It provides a lot more details on SSLxxxx directives. For instance
> >    the first time the SSLCipherSuite (in the past SSLRequiredCiphers)
> >    is documented, etc.
>
> > Please give me your opinion.
>
> Looks good except one problem: only 1/3 of my screen is used! Text looks like
> narrow column in the middle of screen and 2/3 of screen is just wasted :-((
> BTW other pages on http://www.engelschall.com are also less then 1/2 of screen
> (usually on left) and this nasty blue bar on right :-(( Gosh.
>
> P.S. Yes, I know: I'm stupid geek who use full-screen browser in 1800x1440 for
> web-surfing but still there are A LOT OF web sites with more or less
> appropriate look (http://www.linuxhq.com, http://lwn.net/, http://www.apache.org,
> http://www.linuxworld.com, http://www.apacheweek.com, http://stashdot.org,
> http://www.linux.org.uk/, http://www.netcraft.com/ to name a few) but not
> http://www.cnet.com or http://www.engelschall.com :-((

Yeah, it uses a width of 600 pixel. That's not to bother you. There are two
reasons for it: First this way I'm able to layout the various nested tables
more easily (where I sometimes had to specify fixed widths to avoid nasty
next wrappings) and second this way the text lines are shorter. The reason for this
are the same typographical reasons you find in books and newspapers: To make
it easier to read. I know that the usage of HTML for doing fixed layouting is
against the intent of HTML but I break those rules intentionally as a
webdesigner (and not as a HTML purist) here ;-)