On Mon, Jan 11, 1999, Larry Mulcahy wrote:

> I've been messing around with this on and off for the last month.  I tried
> making the suggested change to global.h in the RSAref 2.0 distribution,
> crash still occurred in the same place.  I tried some other changes to
> RSAref and finally tried not using RSAref.  I've also upgraded to
> mod_ssl-2.1.6-1.3.3.  The httpd still gets a SEGV in RSA_flags (which is in
> the file rsa_lib.c in the SSLeay distribution.  So, I am turning my
> attention to SSLeay now.

RSA_flags? Yes, then it's the DSO-problem I've found last weekend. It occurs
because when SSLeay is linked to a DSO under non-smart platforms like Linux or
FreeBSD it _HAS_ to be compiled with "-fPIC" (gcc) or "-KPIC" (SVR4 cc), etc.
Insert this flag into your platform line in SSLeay's Configure script and
recompile SSLeay and relink mod_ssl's libssl.so. The problem went away for me
then. Alternatively you can build mod_ssl without DSO?  Or do you already
compiling mod_ssl statically? When this is the case I've still no clue why the
RSA part of SSLeay dumps core.