On Tue, Apr 20, 1999, Mark Haviland wrote:

> I've just installed mod_ssl (2.2.8-1.3.6) with openssl (1.0.9.2b) and
> apache (1.3.6). I was able to build everything just fine, and did the
> 'make certificate' to generate dummy certificate to try things out.
> After starting the http server (apachectl startssl), I've tried to
> access the 'https' server via netscape, but keep getting a error dialog
> that says, "The certificate is not approved for the attempted
> application."  So what have I done wrong to generate this ?  Any help
> out there ??

Seems like the certificate you use on the server contains a nsCertType
extension which doesn't include the bits for the server application. But the
"make certificate" _DOES_ create correct certificates.  So make sure you
actually startup Apache with the generated server.crt and server.key files and
not with other local certs/keys.